Providing excellent care for children with special needs is a costly challenge. Please see below Sabrina Love Foundation Wishlist – this provides a good idea of the kind of funding that we need every year.
Sabrina Love Bus
• We are currently transporting up to 48 children per day to and from the various townships to our Sabrina Love daycare centre.
• Children are transported to and from their various therapy sessions, which include early childhood intervention clinics (ECD), physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and medical care appointments.
• Field workers are transported to do home visits and assessments in the townships, where children are involved in our outreach program.
• Parents are transported to and from workshops and support groups from our therapy centre.
• General daily errand requirements such as grocery shopping for the daycare centre.
At present we are having to outsource costly private transport companies to fill the gap of our shortfall.
Hoist for DS Special Needs Therapy Centre
Needed to lift older/heavier children and ensure back care for our carers
Seat to hoist
Telescope wheelchair ramps for Die Sterreweg transport (Quantum)ling
Needed to safely lift children in wheelchairs into transport
Cost: R1,500.00 x 2 = R3,000.00
Facilitators Resource Learning Box
A specialised box of learning aids/resources to allow our Classroom Assistants to teach children who learn differently or who are on Individual Student Plans.
This ensures access to the curriculum, concrete learning, adaptation of government curriculum, a flexible learning approach and the opportunity for developmentally delayed children to achieve goals at their level.
To have teaching/learning resources to augment the classroom learning would be extremely beneficial for learners, assistants and teachers
Cost: R2,000.00 x 20 = R40,000.00
Consultant Assessment from Inclusive Solutions – Lisa Ellis
Cost: R500.00 x 5 = R2,500.00
Laptops for 5 Children
For children who are unable to write / draw / hold pens / pencils.
Cost: R5,000.00 x 5 = R25,000.00
High and Low tech AAC
Software, specialised keyboards, specialised computer equipment, communication technology, printers.
We will be able to specify the exact items needed for each child after the assessment with Lisa Ellis.
Cost: R10,000.00 x 5 = R50,000.00
Timion standing frames
Standing frames allow children to stand with support leaving their arms free to engage in functional and learning activities, encourages social engagement and encourages children to play.
Children are given the opportunity to experience the world in the upright position at eye-level with their peers.
Cost: R4,200.00 x 4 = R16,800.00
Mobility aids that enable young children who are not independently mobile to move in their environment, a really important developmental aid for our early intervention. children (aged 2-5).
These walkers allow children to engage socially and explore their environments. These walkers are lightweight, specialised designed for rural context and are foldable for community use.
Cost: R5,150.00 x 4 = R20,600.00
Freedom bath seats
The Bath Chair has been designed to provide a comfortable, reclined seat for a child during bath time. It is especially beneficial for babies and children with cerebral palsy who cannot sit up by themselves.
Cost: R1,950.00 x 2 = R3,900.00
More on our Wishlist
- 1 x Baby Madiba Shonaquip Buggy
- 1 x Medium Madiba Shonaquip Buggy
- 1 x Large Madiba Shonaquip Buggy
- 1 x Standard Wheelchair -R14 000
- 6 x New Wheelchair cushions
- Standing frames
- 2 x New Standing Frames
- Hydrotherapy equipment
- 2 x Swimming flotation collars
- 2 x Aqua flotation belts
- IT Equipment to aid learning – Specialised laptops and communication devices
- Splinting material – to maintain good range of movement and prevent joints getting stiff and tight
- Specialized Sensory Room equipment
- Communication kits to be given at early intervention clinic or children with language delays to assist parents with promoting communication skills R2000 / kit
- Therapeutic weighted vest and blanket . These benefit special needs children with autism, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, hyperactivity and more. These products provide gentle pressure that hug the body to produce a calming and relaxing effect.
R580 x 5 weighted vest
R900 x 5 weighted blanket and cover ( R 750 excluding cover )
SPECIALIST PROFESSIONAL INPUT
- AAC consultant @ R400 per hour
- Audiologist – 4 clinics a year @ R1750 per clinic ( 5 hours @ R550)
- Orthotist – 4 clinics a year @ R1750 per clinic ( 5 hours @ R550)
- Nutritional consultant/ meal planner @ R350 per hour
- Speech therapist @ R450 per hour
- Occupational Therapist @ R450 per hour
- Physiotherapist @ R450 per hour
- Changing bench in the bathroom
- Outside play equipment – hoops, balls, basket ball net, skipping rope
- New bus to transport children
- Wheel chair ramp – R2000
- Toolbox for wheelchair maintenance – R1500
- Classroom kits for children with disabilities in mainstream. These kits will be used by the classroom facilitators to ensure optimal participation at school – R2500 per kit
- Sewing equipment- needles (plastic and normal), felt, material
- Galaxy Tablets
- Special needs adapted scissors – R300
BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE
- Adaptation to school classroom to allow access with a wheelchair -R9500
- Fan for current Wendy house
- Wendy house classroom for 0-4 year olds
- Conversion of the walls of the outside therapy house into sensory walls to turn the walls of this space into functional and interactive spaces where children can explore different sensations and learn concepts during outside play
- 3 x Classroom facilitators @ R 3600 per month
- In special cases we provide parents with a monthly stipend of R2 000 per month to assist with the additional costs of raising a special needs child.
- Adaptation to entrance of homes for children in wheelchairs and children who have difficulty walking – R4000- R10000 (depending on the changes needed)
- Transport to specialised facilities and hospitals – Families with children that need to be transported to Medical centres for treatment and check-ups. I.e. Between Plettenberg Bay, George and Cape Town @ R1 500 per hospital visit.
PRINTING AND STATIONERY
- Laminating sheets for classroom activities
- Printing paper